17 May Reels
What Are Instagram Reels?
If you haven’t heard of Instagram Reels yet you may be living under a rock. Launched in 2019 in Brazil, Instagram Reels is Instagram’s answer to the rising popularity of competitor app TikTok that focuses on short-form video content. With a max length of 30 seconds, Instagram Reels differs slightly from TikTok with certain features and functionality but encourages users to make a similar style of content. While TikTok skews to a slightly younger demographic, Instagram’s established audience may be more likely to engage with this type of content in its more familiar ecosystem than on a new platform.
Is your business interested in gaining a better understanding of what is Instagram Reels and want an easy Instagram tutorial? Keep scrolling to learn more about this visually engaging platform and how to use its latest features to their fullest potential.
The Reels: What Is Instagram Reels?
Similar to TikTok, Instagram Reels lets users create 15 or 30-sec videos with a variety of different tools to edit their short videos. Instagram Reels editing features include elements such as audio, text overlay, stickers, and special effects that enhance your video.
To access your IG Reels, click on the small icon shaped like a square with a play button at the bottom of your Instagram “homepage”. From here, you can continue to swipe up to see new and engaging content from creators that are trending. Below we’ve highlighted the key differences between TikTok and Instagram Reels:
• TikTok is its own platform while Instagram Reels is a feature within a platform.
• TikTok users have a 60-sec time limit. Instagram Reels is only 30 seconds.
• Videos on TikTok do not disappear. Reels do not disappear within the Reels section of Instagram, but will disappear after 24 hours if shared to your Instagram Stories as well.
Now that you understand the basics of Instagram Reels a bit better, you probably want a step-by-step guide to show you the basics of using this feature. If you’ve used TikTok or Instagram in the past, you’ll likely find it easy to get the hang of how to use the Reels feature.
• Step 1: Open the Instagram app and select the plus inside the square icon at the top right-hand side of your screen. At the bottom, scroll until you’re on the ‘Reels’ feature.
• Step 2: Use the icons on the left-hand side to prepare for your recording. You can edit things like music, length, speed, and add special effects with these buttons.
• Step 3: When you’re ready, tap the circle button in the middle of your screen to record a clip. You can tap the record button to end that clip and tap it again to start recording again until you fill your 30 seconds.
• Step 4: Once you’ve finished, you can add drawings, stickers, or text to your Reel. Tap the next button, select your cover image, and write your caption and share on your social channels – you just made a Reel!
Manuel Leon is the Creative Director and one of the founding partners of Design106. With a background in graphic design and advertising, Manuel brings passion and an eye for detail to every project he works on. If you want to take advantage of Manual and the entire Design106 team’s expertise within digital marketing and social media, be sure to contact them today to discuss your needs and goals!